Colleen in Bliss

Colleen in Bliss

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Dharma Talk Inspired by - Bob Dylan's MusiCares Person of Year speech By - Deborah O'Brien


"For three or four years all I listened to were folk standards. I went to sleep singing folk songs. I sang them everywhere, clubs, parties, bars, coffeehouses, fields, festivals. And I met other singers along the way who did the same thing and we just learned songs from each other. I could learn one  song and sing it next in an hour if I'd heard it just once.

If you sang "John Henry" as many times as me -- "John Henry was a steel-driving man / Died with a hammer in his hand / John Henry said a man ain't nothin' but a man / Before I let that steam drill drive me down / I'll die with that hammer in my hand."  If you had sung that song as many times as I did, you'd have written "How many roads must a man walk down?" too. 

In our yoga practice our teachers tell us "practice and all is coming".  This concept is further elaborated by the statement above from Bob Dylan.  We are the vehicle for the growth and progression of art.  By singing the same songs - practicing the same asana - this repetition and routine stimulates and inspires the creation of new art.  This new expression of ourselves never would have exsisted without the regular practice. 

I could see Patabi Jois and Bob Dylan enjoying a conversation on the topic.  


Here's the Asthanga Yoga Opening Chant - Dylan Style



No comments:

Post a Comment